:)

:)

Sunday, November 17, 2019

The Peruvian Post (Week 11)

I'm thankful for laughter.

The Peruvians know how to laugh. Their days are filled with joy. They find reasons to smile in nearly everything.

When their houses flood they all race to help. They tirelessly work to move the water out and prevent more from entering. But, as soon as they have done what they can, they relax. They go with the flow. They start water fights and gather around to laugh and squeal until their bellies ache and their cheeks hurt. Abuelito Felix grabs a pitcher and dowses Joel with rain water. Giggles ripple through the tiny crowd. Abuela Julieta cups her hands and pours the water over Abuelito's head. Soon the kids have joined and the laughter rises as quickly as the rain falls.

The water fight dies down. But only for a moment. Now it's back. Llingli and Mama Laura watch with brooms and shovels, pitchers and buckets still in hand. They chuckle as us "Gringos" join the fun. (Locally, Gringo is a term of affection. It's not considered offensive.) If anyone had managed to stay dry before, they're now soaked clear through... with water and joy.


I'm thankful for the table.

Life revolves around meal times. In Peru, fast food is as non-existent as tortillas. Sometimes meals are kind of like an open house, but whoever is at the table is fully present, engaged, and in no hurry to leave. Conversations last for ages after the food is finished. And, there is never a shortage. With rice, beans, potatoes, avacado, beats, cabbage, yucca, and so much fruit. It's impossible to leave unsatisfied. You've never seen such a variety of drinks. There is fresh pineapple juice, chica morada (purple corn juice), papaya and orange juice, chamomile tea (often eaten with soggy bread...something I'm not sure I'll ever get used to), chocolate de leche, apple juice, and many more that I can't pronounce yet.

I'm thankful for mi familia de Peruano.

I didn't expect to be welcomed into a new family so freely. Some nights Mama Laura texts me, "Buenos Noches, mi princessa." Papa Henrry said, "You are welcome to come visit our home whenever you want. My family is your family. If you want to read in the living room, play the piano, practice guitar, or just sit and talk, you may. You are my daughter." Sometimes I help Joel with his English homework. He says, "Brooke you are the best friend in the whole world." Funny, because all I really do is smile and talk to him when he visits my room.

I'm thankful for music.

The local families love to sing. They carry their hymnals around almost as much as their Bibles. This has been a huge comfort because I recognize most of the tunes, even though I'm still learning the Spanish lyrics. Mama Laura gave me a hymnal to keep. I found it in one of the motorcars during the first few weeks here. After using it that night, I handed it back. She smiled, "No, it's for you. Keep it. Use it." That little hymnal with the foreign lyrics and familiar tunes has become one of my most precious possessions.

I'm thankful!

~TBS~




1 comment: