:)

:)

Sunday, October 1, 2017

Normal Life? What's That?

Shoutout to my college class that literally requires me to take an hour long "artist date" once a week. I will probably be spending a lot more time with all of you than I would be otherwise. The only qualifications to this "artist date" are 1) it has to be something I want to do (check), 2) something that sounds fun at the time (check), and 3) I'm not allowed to bring anybody else along...which means that as long as you don't read this until after my hour is up...(check). ;)

So far college is pretty much everything I anticipated it would be.

Dorm life is fun. It's as exciting as I hoped it would be, and better than I was afraid it would be. But, I miss houses. Houses have taken up the title "phenomenon" in my brain, and the precious couple of times I've stepped into one since arriving in the dorms has been blessed bliss.

The work load is everything I was afraid it would be, but each day gets better as I learn how my teachers tick. Also, my individual classes aren't bad at all, and I enjoy all them. Allll of them except writing class, funny as that may strike you.

Settling into friendships has been surprisingly simple. It's been so much easier than the world makes it out to be.

Cafeteria food...does get old after a while, but I have tried my first two eggplant dishes that actually slid down my throat. I even could've stomached a second helping. I guess you could call that a win for cafeteria food?  However, going to a Seventh-day Adventist University definitely has not helped me avoid soy and the rest of my intolerances........ someone please tell me why that's ALL we eat for protein. It's not like there are any other vegetarian options or anything. Sheesh!

I've definitely been homesick. That hasn't been quite as bad as I was fretting, though. Thank heavens! The worst part of that was the anticipation all summer. I do miss the mountains, but it could be worse.

Living on a broken budget has been the easiest thing about college. That was a pleasant surprise. :D Do you need to go to the store? Too bad. That would take to long even if you did drive your car. You want to buy some food? Ahahaha. You don't have a lunch break. There's no time to spend money!

The amount of people trying to poison me with coffee has gone down by approximately 75%. Here's another shoutout to living in an Adventist community! :p Also, as of yet, no one has attempted trying to get me to try postum, which is good because it reminds me of Post Partum Depression so I'm skeptical if not a little superstitious. ;) I work at a coffee shop back home and I've still never met so many tea drinkers in my life. Did you run out of that special lemon-ginger tea? Have no fear, three other hall mates have the exact same brand. Do you need more chai? Go make it from scratch with your fellow chai-loving friend upstairs, or burn your throat out with the spicy ginger chai from the favorite campus coffee shop. Yes, actually, believe or not, it's almost too spicy for me. I see a few of you with your mouths hanging open. You should probably shut them before your tongues get dry.

People, Walla Walla has spiders the size of things you shouldn't think about. I'M NOT KIDDING! I came three feet from a creature the size I thought only people in Africa, South America, and Australia needed to have nightmares about.

THERE IS A REASON EVERYONE TELLS YOU TO BRING COMFY CLOTHES. DO NOT IGNORE THIS.

You function best on 7-9 hours of sleep each night? Darling, that's just not how college works. You study, you work, you eat, you exercise, sometimes you can MAYBE socialize, but good gravy, no sleeping.

You aren't sure if you REALLY need all of those blankets? Bring them anyway. There can never be too many fuzzy blankets. Ever.

You ride a long board? That's so cool! You aren't very adept at riding it yet? That's okay. You don't want to ride it in front of anyone for fear of making a fool of yourself? No worries. It can stay under your bed all year and never be used. Fear not. Oh! But, you should definitely keep buying stickers to put on the bottom that nobody will ever see because you never use it.

You like feeling as if you have some semblance of control over your life? That's so sweet. I suggest getting used to feeling like you're a shoe in a drying machine. It's easier if you just accept it.

Oop! My hour of getting to date the artist within me is up. Better go write a 2 1/2 page essay on something I can only come up with one sentence worth of valuable information on. So long my reader friends. <3

2 comments:

  1. This was so fun to read :) Thank-you for sharing of your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool. Looking forward to reading on a regular basis. Love this and you.

    ReplyDelete