:)

:)

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Q&A with Brooke

Just for fun, I've wanted to do a Q&A post for a while, so now might as well be the time! I have received a pretty wide range of questions, from comical to how I plan to save the world... So. Onward ho!

What does the word authentic mean to you and how does living  it out look like?
This is a good question, and I should write a full post about this sometime. I'm still learning, every day, what it means to be truly authentic. But, I'll tell you what I have learned.

I think to be authentic means to be honest about ourselves, even when it's hard. It means admitting when we fail or don't add up. It means admitting when we are good at something, and not apologizing for that either. It means being vulnerable and allowing others to be vulnerable back. It means acknowledging life's pain and life's beauty. It means not being afraid to be broken.

What was your favorite year in school?
Ha! Before college, I LITERALLY dreaded the end of every single year (except maybe senior year of high school) because I was convinced that no year could ever be as good as the last. But, looking back sophomore year of high school and freshman year of college have been my favorite...funny enough they've also been the most academically hectic.

What is your favorite landscape?
Mountains. Plain and simple.

Where is Montana?
There are three ways to answer this.
1. Literally: 43.03348 degrees North; -109.6451 degrees East
2. According to the homegrown locals who don't want you to move here: It's in the middle of nowhere. There is snow nine moths out of the year, and construction the other three. There are no speed limits, no grocery stores, and no electricity.
3. According to my friend Jorge: It's a county in Texas, and therefore everyone speaks with heavy Texan drawls. The reason there are no speed limits is because everyone has horses. There are no cars. There are only trees, cows, and dinosaur bones...and possibly a little park called Glacier with two swings and a sandbox.

What is your favorite season?
I like spring, summer, and fall equally. My favorite is whichever one I'm in. I'm not a fan of winter, unless it's Christmas.

The best laughing moment you've ever had?
I actually have no idea. I laugh pretty easily.

What is the best way to deal with the intrusiveness of political comments of Facebook?
Honey child, I wish I knew.

How do you blow up a nitrile glove without getting your finger stuck?
Well...generally I've blown up glove balloons without sticking my hand in them first...that seems to have served me well over the years. ;)

Why doesn't chocolate milk come out of brown cows?
Wait. Does it not? Mooooom!

If all social media disappeared for a week, what type of impact would that have on the world?
I wish this would actually happen. I would love to see how much more present people would be, including myself. It would be a challenge, but think of all the other things we would be forced to do with our free time.

What is the secret to being successful in college?
I think the secret to being successful in college is similar to the secret of being successful in life. Here are just a few tips I've learned over the ages.
  • Count your blessings. 
  • Avoid being an annoying person, but also avoid being an easily annoyed person. 
  • Take a deep breath. Give yourself grace.
  • Surround yourself with people who simultaneously accept you where you're at, as well as push you to be the best that you can be. 
  • Learn the art of peace making, but don't be afraid of healthy confrontation.

What is your favorite place in the world?
Glacier National Park

If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go and why?
I'm hoping to live in Peru next year for several reasons. Even though it scares me to death, I have wanted to spend at least a year oversees as a student missionary, learning a new culture, language, and way of thinking. At this point Peru looks like a good fit because it's in the mountains (and we already established the fact that mountains have my heart), it's a Spanish speaking country (I'm taking Spanish this year and I would really appreciate strengthening my bi-lingual skills), PLUS there is a communications opening for a social media ambassador which sounds crazy cool.

If you could do anything else today, other than what you are doing? What would it be?
As I'm answering this particular question, it is currently Thanksgiving break. I'm writing this from my living room couch listening to my best friends laugh themselves silly with my brother and uncle. This is exactly where I want to be.

What is your first memory of church?
Ooofda! Good question! I have some pretty early memories, but none that produce much of a narrative. I do remember thinking that all the kids in the Primary classroom (aka the 9 to 12 year olds) were soooooo big, and I was pretty convinced I would never be that old.

What is your favorite thing to eat at the WWU café?
Falafels.

Do words matter?
Ha! I could write an essay here, or I could direct you to an old post I wrote... (which I'm having trouble linking, but I'll write it down here.) In short, YES!
https://pocketfullathoughts.blogspot.com/2016/12/weaver-of-words-liver-of-life.html

What are a few of your favorite authors?
Well, you all know that C. S. Lewis and J. R. R. Tolkien are pretty much my heroes. <3 I love the classics and Charles Dickens is pretty swell in that realm. When it comes to religion and theology, I greatly appreciate Jefferson Bethke. Gasp if you must, but I actually don't LOVE poetry. However, I do like certain children's poets like Shel Silverstein and Robert Louis Stevenson.

What is the meaning of life? 
Since my goal is not to turn this post into a book... I shall simply say this. My brain hurts.

What is a funny fact about you?
As a child I never had an imaginary friend. I did, however, have seven imaginary husbands.

Well, folks, it's been fun! For now, I'm questioned out.
~TBS~







4 comments:

  1. I love your description of Montana... but only because I live here too!
    I will say on the social media topic, I think it is an amazing tool that has been a great blessing to me and because of that, if it went away, it would be an incredible loss. If anything, it has helped me to live more in the moment, and share life with more people rather than being so focused on only my small world. But I have realized it is all in how you use it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I think it is a valuable tool. I do however think that it would be fascinating to see what the world would do if it disappeared for just one week.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. I learned some things about you that I didn't know. You make me laugh and also think. Love you.

      Delete