:)

:)

Monday, August 3, 2015

He Knows the Sound of My Voice

     I've always kind of thought the members in my family all have similar voices, particularly my brother and me.  I'm not sure we do, and those who know me may strongly disagree with me, but from what I hear of my voice inside my head and those of my fellow family members...we do. 

     My father has worked out of town for the past four years.  In consequence, we talk over the phone regularly.  I've always been pleasantly curious over how my dad knows exactly who he's talking to.  I usually have a short period of guess work before I knew exactly who I'm talking to.  Phones can also be known for fiddling with sound a bit.  Yet, my dad always seems to know who he's talking to and will greet us accordingly. 

     One time I remember asking him how this was.  Our conversation went something along this line...

"Hello?"
"Hey! This is Papa."

After checking up on how his day was going and visa versa...

"How do you always know exactly who you are taking to?"
"What do you mean?"
"Well, you always seem to differentiate between all of our voices so quickly.  When it's one of us kids you call yourself Papa, but when it's Mama you always say your name. I would think the phone would sometimes make that a tad tricky.  Don't our voices sound alike?"
"I suppose they do a little.  But, one of you answers a little bit slower than the others, and one says 'hello' while the others say 'hey'.  And, your voices aren't THAT alike."

Even after that conversation, I've still been pleasantly surprised when he always knows who I am. 

     It started me thinking. That's how God is?  God knows my thoughts precisely.  He never gets them confused with someone else's.  He knows who I am, what I like, and what worries me.  He knows how the pathways of thought tend to flow.  He knows the hairs on my head.  He knows my quirks.  Not only does he know my name, he knows me.  I like to imagine that when I pray, not only does he recognize my voice, and know my face...he knows my fingerprints.  The fingerprints that no one else has. No one else has ever had. And no one else will have.  They're my own individual identity, and he knows them. 

     Luke 12: 6-7 proclaims, "Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? Yet not one of them is forgotten by God. Indeed, the very hairs on your head are all numbered.  Don't be afraid you are worth more than many sparrows."

     God even knows the number of hairs on my head!  If you're like me, you have heard that verse many times throughout your life.  But, have you ever truly thought about how crazy that is? In a good way, of course!  If you asked me to count the hairs on my own head I would probably laugh and reply, "Uhhh, no!"  I love my friends to death, but if you asked me to remember the amount of hairs on all their heads, I would stare at you with a dazed look of disbelief.  It's important to me to know what makes each individual friend who they are.  But, oh please!  There is NO WAY I'm going to try to do that.  And yet, God remembers that.  It leads me to the conclusion, that if God makes even that important, can you imagine what else He remembers about you and me? 

     We all have so many reasons to declare, "How great is our God!"


~Brooke






No comments:

Post a Comment