:)

:)

Saturday, October 12, 2019

The Peruvian Post (Week 6)

It's been a week. It's been a rather long week, actually. I spent nearly every day resting in bed or in my room catching up on journalism work.

It started with a cold. It wasn't bad. I got over it quickly. Julietta brought me a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice. I thought, "Maybe I should get sick more often." A couple days down, and I was at it again.

Then the "stomach weirdness" settled in. Honestly, that wasn't awful. I guess I had it in my mind, that if I was going to get sick from the food down here, it would be a repeat of Montezuma's Revenge (an experience I'd prefer not to repeat), but it was far less intense. At no point did I think I was dying.

Yesterday, the third day of being out for the count, Papa Henrry decided I needed IV's. I was surprised because nausea isn't fun, but I didn't think I was THAT sick. (And FYI, I'm not known for thinking I'm less sick than I am. ;) I tend to think I'm on death's doorstep.)

But, the nausea medicine, IV, and antibiotics helped.


For lunch, Mama Laura brought me a bowl of fresh fruit, a smile, and a comforting word. And between Laura and Rosita, I'm now fully caught up on laundry. I'm not sure whether or not I should be embarrassed about the fact that I was so behind, but I feel fully loved and very blessed.

Julieta brought me a concoction of natural medicine. I thought, "I think I'd rather be sick." I may be living at a clinic, but I guess I haven't escaped the concoctions of well-meaning mothers. Yuck!

This week was ROUGH depression wise. It was probably the worst drop since starting medication two years ago. Funny because it was mental health awareness week, but I didn't feel up to talking about it. I'm doing better...for now. Thankfully, I had prepared myself for a possible drop in depression down here. Change does that to me, but foresight helps.

Blessings:

Today was restful and calm. I sat outside my room and enjoyed the breeze for a while.

Joel, 10, came up to me and said, "Brooke, you look beautiful. I like your shirt and skirt." Bless his sweet soul. I'm not sure he knew how much that meant to a girl who just spent half her week with diarrhea, has a full set of "Ring of Fire" volcanoes on her face, and was still slightly weak in all limbs.

My laundry is now all finished!

The NAD (North American Division of Seventh-day Adventists) contacted me this last week and asked if I would be willing to help them with footage for a missions project they are working on. They're sending camera equipment and all! I'm super stoked. It has been my dream to do something like this, but I've never had my own equipment. Plus, it high key stresses me out. BUT, they are going to walk me through the whole process. *insert my happy dance* They will be working with me and one other SM somewhere else.

Internet. Bless the world of 2019! Yes, I struggle with the downsides a lot, but wow! the upsides are wonderful. It does my heart SO MUCH GOOD to see my mama's face and hear my papa's voice while I'm far away. Plus, I love "meeting" Jalen at his favorite coffee shop. Also, yo! my 10-year-old cousin plays the oboe and violin. He sent me a bunch of clips to cheer me up while I had an IV stuck to my arm. I LOVE INTERNET.

~TBS~




1 comment:

  1. Love. So very thankful you're on the mend, and that the folks there are taking such wonderful care of you. Your words encourage me! Great big hugs, and mucho love.

    ReplyDelete