:)

:)

Monday, October 8, 2018

Oh The Irony!

You know what one of my top fears is and has always been? Being a missionary oversees.

I'm not sure why. I'm really not. Both of my parents have spent a considerable amount of time in various countries out yonder. It has always been something big on their hearts and therefore a frequent topic in the household. As a child I remember thinking how honored I'd be to die a martyr. That didn't scare me AT ALL. But, for Pete's sake please don't send me over the waters. I'll gladly be a missionary here at home, and I'll do it with my whole heart, but kindly don't send me to a far off land.

The story of Jonah TERRIFIED me. True story! I honesty feared that God would throw me into the sea to be gobbled up by a huge whale. I'm not sure if my fear of deep water comes from that, or if that comes from my fear of deep water. While most of my friends loved the Veggie Tales version of Jonah, I clearly remember feeling like throwing up after watching it because it scared me so bad. (This coming from a girl who would pet sleeping dogs and then laugh when they growled at me. Don't ask for the logic! I could write a whole separate post just contrasting my odd fears with my odd "non-fears".)

Plot twist:

I just got back from setting up my first appointment with the student missions office for a year overseas. Yes, my heart is pounding quicker than normal. I thoroughly enjoyed my short mission trip to Brazil a few years ago...except for the case of Montezuma's Revenge that I was not so blessed to catch...but that's beside the point. However, I'm about to willingly sign myself up for nearly a year oversees.

I don't currently have much to say about the process. I don't yet know where I'm going. I'm not yet sure what I'll be doing. What I do know is that I'm about to face a most real fear. Funny how lives often take such ironic turns! Stay tuned for updates and thoughts from my pocket.

What's in your pocket?


1 comment:

  1. Praying for you as you make this decision and choice.

    ReplyDelete