:)

:)

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Traveling the World With Beloved Professors


I want to remember this. Walking along the streets of Southwark (suth-uk) along the Thames River, closing out the weekday hours with frozen yogurt and letting Sabbath settle with golden light bouncing on the watery ripples.

I don't want to forget this. Elbows draped over Shakespeare's stage at the Globe Theatre. Tasting the life of a groundling; feet numb and knees tight with pressure, but an arms reach from the comedic action.

I want to remember this. Sipping lemonade at the Inklings favorite table at The Eagle and Child tavern in Oxford. Pretending that the Lord of the Rings was a baby thought, waiting for the pen to let it free.

I don't want to forget this. Touring the English countryside with two beloved professors.

Some say college will be the best years of my life. I chose not to agree. I think life is what you make it. It's both how you handle the joys of each day and the sorrows of each year. If you make college the best time of your life, then it will be. If you allow yourself to live a rich life (meaning accepting the beautiful as well as the tragic, loving despite the pain, and holding onto your 1000 gifts) later in life, then anytime could be the best time of your life.

That being said, I'm taking this moment to remember that I'm living my best life! Traveling with 19 dear friends. Building, together, a tangible list of all our favorite inside jokes. (#listen) Walking until our ankles hurt, our calves sting, and our foreheads are wet. Falling asleep filled with memories, waking with curiosity.

We toast friendship with raspberry lemonade. These people could very well be in my heart for the rest of my life. Our laughter splits our sides, but bonds our lives. It's funny how around the world, smiles say the same thing. Funny how, laughter is no more rich in one place than another.

We've had ice cream almost every day. We justify it by saying we've walked enough to earn it. We're still slimming, so I guess that's fair. By the way, gelato is not all it's cracked up to be. Ice cream is definitely the route to take.

I'm traveling all over the U.K., filling my brain with knowledge, my heart with experiences. This privilege is not lost on me. Some afternoons travel gets to me. The sweat and soreness get to me. The late nights and early mornings get to me. All the Cathedrals look the same, and...yeah, so do the castles. But, here I sit thanking God for every blessing. My bucket list has many more things crossed out, and my reverse bucket list is unfolding rapidly.

Dr. Bond stood at the front of the bus facing backwards for about a total of 3 hours as traveled to London. It beats me how she wasn't sick! I wish I could say what it feels like travel down the British interstate watching brick buildings, English hills, and scattered wildflowers go by while one of my favorite professors discusses English literature with us. True, sometimes I'd like to just see England without worrying about school, but oh! most of the world could only dream about this education. I don't want to take this for granted. <3 I'm so incredibly thankful for parents and high-school teachers who taught me to love learning. College has challenged that love A LOT! But I think it's a love that once learned cannot be forgotten.

I think the one thing that would take this trip from phenomenal to epic would be Mrs. Dunham (my high-school history teacher). I can only imagine how much my nerdy heart would burst. But, of course, to have Dr. Bond, Dr. Dodds, and Mrs. Dunham on the same trip would probably be too amazing. I couldn't return to normal life after that, so it's probably best. ;D

I'm going to miss the food the most. Not the breakfasts; their repetitiveness grew monotonous quickly. But, the lunches and dinners here have been kind of unforgettable. We eat at authentic Italian, Thai, and Indian restaurants often. And if there's anything Montana doesn't do well it's authentic Italian, Thai, and Indian food. I've had the BEST Pad Thai and Gnocchi of my life! Aaaand, I've grown to actually like Indian food. Mama and Papa will be proud. ;)

I am looking forward to getting home for chai, however. Chai here SUCKS! Yet, in Europe's defense, their ginger bear is mucho bueno. I hear British coffee leaves much to be desired, but I wouldn't know. I have downed my first mocha and affogato (#avocado), however! Y'all should be proud.

I've learned a lot: 1) Drinking fountains are an American thing. So there's that! 2) Plastic utensils can be found, but it takes skill. 2) Most of Britain knows what a London Fog latte is...except London. #weird 3) It is possible to eat ice cream every day and indulge in pasta often while still losing weight...you just have to walk every day, all day. 4) Dr. Bond is AMAZING. I knew that, but it's been confirmed. 5) It's valuable to experience both the life of a local and a tourist. I have a lot more grace for the silliness of the tourists at Glacier because sometimes it's impossible to avoid looking like an idiot when you're traveling. 6) It's clear that I'll never be a city girl. 7)I want someone to look at me the way Paul looks at Dr. Bond. 8) Hate to admit it, but castles and cathedrals kind of run together after you've been to like 20 of each. 9) It's an interesting experience to visit a country that speaks the same language, but says things totally different. French fries are chips. Elevators are lifts. Restrooms are toilets. Tea lattes aren't a thing. It's not "watch your step," it's "mind the gap." I could go on. 10) Iced drinks aren't a given. Most coffee shops, especially in the smaller cities, don't do iced drinks...they. just. don't. 11) Free restrooms can be found, but they aren't everywhere. Plan your water breaks well. 12) I can't ever pick a British style writing name because I'd be T. B. Sample and I don't care to be thought of as a sample of tuberculosis. :( 13) Ice water is not a given in England. (Spoiler alert - Iceland has the coldest, sweetest water EVER!)

I want to remember this! All of it. The good and the not so good. I want this experience to teach me that, traveling is amazing, and so is a quiet life at home. I want this trip to remind me that I have both a Took side and a Baggins side. Both are equally different. Both are equally wonderful.

I don't want to forget what it's like to travel the world with two beloved professors. I don't want to forget any of this. But, since I know I will, I pray that I remember what's important. Growth yet patience. Humility yet courage. Hope yet contentment. Friendship yet solitude. Change yet reliability.



My pocketses are packed. What's in your pocketses? ~ Tiarra Brooke


1 comment:

  1. Brooke, you are amazing. So appreciate you sharing your thoughts and experiences.

    ReplyDelete